After three days here, I am now officially allowed to form impressions. Unlike the other Carribean locale I've been to (Nevis), this place seems almost like a slice of America. Burger King and Haagen Dazs and grocery stores and everything. To put it another way, Caymanians appear to be loaded. And a consequence of that is that this place is not for the faint of pocketbook.
As befits the tropics, it is sunny and hot every day. If you find a shady spot with a nice breeze it's really nice, although if you are out in the sun itself it can get too hot in a hurry. The beach here is fantastic as beaches go. I don't know why but it doesn't get foot-burningly hot, and there aren't poky sharp things of any sort (although that may be due to excellent grooming from the hotel).
Y has found a restaurant, Calypso, which she liked so much that she made a second reservation that same night. It was only after we got home that she realized this meant there was no time left for the Indian food she's been hankering for.
Another interesting thing to do here is to take a submarine ride. I would have to say that I definitely got my money's worth from the ride, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to do it again. After about 30 minutes of looking at coral and fish, you kind of get the idea.
We learned to our dismay tonight that the restaurant, Hemingway's, is strictly worse than room service: the menu is a strict subset, and they refuse to make any sort of helpful substitutions. Also, the guy poured water into my Sprite (but to be fair they did replace it).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment