Monday, March 24, 2008

Fat Lip


A couple of days ago I was sitting in the living room in the in-laws house when I heard the unmistakable thump of someone falling down stairs followed by Erika crying. When we got there, she was bleeding from her top lip and crying a lot, but it wasn't obvious what if anything else, was wrong. After a bit of fussing about, we rushed off to the dentist to see if our teeth were still in working order. Although in my case, I was in charge of the car, so I went through the embarrassing incident of going to the Ito Yokado parking lot, zipping up to the 5th floor (the parking lot is on the roof over the building, so there's no actual places to park on floors 1-4) and ... there were no spots. There was a ramp up to the 6th floor, but it was "Do Not Entered" for me. The only choice was to go back down to where I explained to the parking person that there were no spots. He admonished me that if I'd looked there was a sign saying "this floor full!" and I could've wisely gone up to the next floor.

Anyway, eventually the car was parked and the baby was taken home. Mom went off to the city to get fancy nails done while Erika took a nap. Or rather, the start of a nap, as she woke up after about 10 minutes and threw up. After a bit more fussing about, this time we went off to the doctor to make sure there wasn't some sort of evil head injury. At the clinic we waited and waited and waited until Erika declared, "Daddy, let's go home." Using the wisdom of parents and teachers passed down through the ages, I bribed her to stay with the offer of ice cream later. Shortly after the doctor saw us, and got almost exactly no useful information from us.

  • How far did she fall? Don't know, nobody was watching.
  • What position was her body in when you found her? Don't know, mom (who is in the city getting her nails done) found her.
  • The doctor wanted to inspect the back of her neck, but Erika wouldn't take off her jacket.
  • The doctor also tried to get her to rotate her hands, but she was having none of it.
Erika did, however, note that she liked the doctor, "先生が好き". Anyway, the doctor sent us home with a "well, she seems okay; don't give her a bath tonight and watch her carefully" and that was that.


1 comment:

Fred said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Erika and the stairs. I had a similar incident at about the same age, so maybe it is just due to one of my imperfect genes. :-)

I fell down the stairs and hit a flower pot. When I came to my senses, I asked my mother if I broke the flower pot.